Occupational Health and Safety Policy
Hypha prides itself on being a healthy and safe place to work and conduct business. Every team member is responsible for maintaining a safe and healthy workplace by reporting hazards, accidents and unsafe conditions. We act in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
Ergonomics As a remote-first workplace, employees are responsible for the ergonomics of their own workspace.
Social connection When working remotely, it can be difficult to maintain social connection both with coworkers and other people in your life. We encourage employees to be mindful of their social needs and develop strategies for meeting their needs both in and outside of the workplace. Some strategies for maintaining social connection with coworkers:
- Regular 1x1 meetings with people on other project teams, such as 30 minutes every other week)
- Attending org-wide social calls such as coffee breaks or social hangs.
- Working outside of your residence, such as in a coworking space, library, or café. Be mindful of client privacy and internet safety when using unsecured networks!
- Disconnect from work obligations outside of working hours to give yourself time to dedicate to family, friends, and other social activities.
- Talking to other remote employees about the strategies they use to stay connected :)
Disconnecting from work Employees must be familiar with Hypha’s vacation and time-off policy. When on personal time (e.g., When on vacation, taking sick days, or after an employee’s scheduled working hours), employees are expected to be unreachable for non-emergency project matters.
Physically co-located work
When working in the same physical location, we encourage you to inquire who on the current Hypha team has formal first aid training and certification.
Health and Safety Resources:
- Ministry of Labour- Health and Safety
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Ontario Health and Safety Partners
- Hypha will establish a Joint Health & Safety Committee prior to bringing on its 20th team member to comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Hypha will establish a ‘disconnect from work’ policy prior to bringing on its 25th team member, to comply with the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA).