On a quarterly basis, members should identify their time commitment (i.e., three- or four-day work week). Based on this, members are entitled to 3 weeks of flexible time off, plus the December Holidays between Christmas Day and New Year's Day, when Hypha's virtual office is closed.
|Days in work week
|Flexible vacation days over year
It is strongly recommended that members take all their alloted days, and in the event that they are not fully utilized, only a maximum of 2 weeks can be paid out each year.
- Send an email to Operations. Include vacation start and end dates, and number of days you will be taking off. Also note: your usual day off should not be tracked as a vacation day (eg: You don’t work Fridays in a regular work week)
- Operations coordinator will update the vacation tracking spreadsheet🔒
- Operations coordinator will add your vacation to the shared Availability calendar🔒
- Block out your personal Hypha calendar with out of office/vacation time to ensure people don’t book meetings during the time you are away.
- Please post a message in #private-general chat right before you go on vacation, as a reminder you will be away and when.
When a member works beyond the allotted hours in their full work week, they are expected to take a lieu day at a later date so as not to overwork themself. For example, if Alice commits to working a four-day work week but ends up working five days in a particular week, they should work three days the next week (or within a reasonable amount of time).
Lieu days are self-tracked and arranged with the member's initiative leads as to be not distruptive to the initiative.
We have no policy limiting the number of sick days that members take.
Prolonged absences beyond the allocated vacation days are not limited, but they are not considered paid vacation, and arrangements should be made with initiative leads with corresponding time commitment adjustments.
Our virtual office is closed during Ontario's nine public holidays. We recognize three additional holidays where the office is closed and members are encouraged not to work:
- Civic Holiday (first Monday in August)
- May Day or International Workers' Day (May 1)
- Remembrance Day (November 11)
Additionally, the December Holidays where the virtual office is closed between Dec 25 and Jan 1.
If a public holiday lands on a member's off-day under a four-day work week, the member should take one of the work days off as a make-up holiday.
|New Year's Day
|Mon, January 1
|Ontario Family Day
Third Monday in February
|Mon, February 19
Friday before Easter Sunday
|Fri, March 29
|May Day (International Workers' Day)
|Weds, May 1
Monday before May 25
|Mon, May 20
|Mon, July 1
First Monday in August
|Mon, August 5
First Monday in September
|Mon, September 2
Second Monday in October
|Mon, October 14
|Mon, November 11
|Weds, December 25
|Tues, December 26