Hypha Worker Co-operative Inc. is a worker co-operative incorporated on August 1, 2019 in Ontario, Canada (Ontario Corporation No. 5019866).
Hypha is incorporated as a non-share capital worker co-operative under the Ontario Co-operative Corporations Act, 1990. This entails specific conditions on our primary object, size of membership, and role of members, as addressed in Article , [1.1], , and [145.1] of the Act.
We are a non-profit organization. That means our organization does not operate with the primary purpose of generating profit. As per 2017's Cutting Unnecessary Red Tape Act, Hypha falls under neither the current Corporations Act, nor the upcoming Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, which both govern not-for-profit corporations in Ontario.
Every member-owner is both an employee and co-owner of Hypha. There are seven member-owners, all of which are founding employees, with four Directors.
- Has completed a membership application (and/or been officially welcomed into the membership)
- Is a permanent or founding employee
- Is considered:
- active if they are in good standing with their membership fees and have not requested to change their status
- inactive if they have requested to change their status
- Inactive members are unable to vote, serve as a director, participate in projects, or work as an employee for so long as they remain so
- Inactive members can request to become active at any time
- Is "someone who performs work for an employer for wages," meeting the Employment Standards Act, 2000 definition of employee
- Is considered permanent if they:
- Have completed a probationary period of one year
- Are not working under contract
- Provides services clearly specified in a time-limited contractor agreement
- Participates in open Hypha activities and projects without a formal relationship